Thursday, September 12, 2019

Week 4: Pt 2: Two Websites I Frequently Use

Two websites I use frequently are Carlsbad City Library www.carlsbadca.gov and Ebay www.ebay.com I think each is effective in different ways. 

Carlsbad library website employs good design by their alignment of text and buttons, neutral colors, and a focal point that displays their upcoming events. Their goal is to educate and enrich and the website communicates that well.

Ebay is not as well designed, in my opinion. Their homepage is very bright, colorful, and flashy, with moving pictures and large images. Lots of marketing front and center. But the main part, the search bar, is front and center and easy to find.

I come back to each because neither has a good competitor and I like what each site offers. I have to use Carlsbad Library to renew books I’ve checked out, but I can also borrow ebooks or takes classes online through their site. Ebay is great when I’m looking for a great deal on something I found in the store that I want, but don’t want to spend that much money on it.

Carlsbad Library’s page could be improved by making it easier to find the correct resource. There have been times that I’m looking for a certain class and I can’t remember which resource it’s under, so having descriptions by the tab would be helpful.

Ebay could be improved by better alignment of their images and smaller pictures, maybe only some with bright colors so you can decide what to look at when you first land on their page. I guess what they’re doing is working though, since it seems to be a successful company.

No comments:

Post a Comment